10 Human Rights that stick out to me;
1) The right to life.
2) The right to education
3) The freedom to move places.
4) The freedom of thoughts
5) The right to no torture.
6) Innocent until proven guilty.
7) No slavery
8) The right to marriage and a family
9) Free to say what we want
10) Workers’ Rights
Code of Hammurabi
– 1754 B.C; idea for ‘an eye for an eye’
– ancient mesopotamia, theres 282 laws.
– What to do with wages, family, sexuality, marternity,
Example; Someone says you did something wrong, you must prove it or die, kidnapping equals death, robers caught are killed,
-They were wordy yet simply put.
– later 1400s, italian man,
-approach to government, ” the ends justifies the means.”
-to kill children to get to one big person
1) right vision – live envolves and changes
2) right emotion – commiting yourself to feel real
3) right speech – speak positive
4) right action – ethical life
5) right livelihood -doing work that doesnt harm others
6) right effort – think kind and positive
7) mindfulness – full awware of oneself
8) right meditiation – training mind to be calm
– being owned or worked, or forced into doing things; enslaved.
– 1619, Jamestown, Virginia. was the start.
– put into slave ships, 50% die because of conditions.
– 1641 Massachuseets legalizes slaverly
– 1643 Connecticut adopts fugitive slave law
– 1705 Virginia slave Codes.
– Canadian nslaves from 1830 to 1833
– Auction to the highest bidder
– ‘seasoning’ so theyre ready for work
Why not inslave the Native population?
– NA highly likely to disease
– They were more familiar with the land
– Political allies that can help fight against the slave ‘owners
Why inslave Africans?
– took 2-6 weeks to bring Slaves
– Eperience in producing suagr and cotton and rice
– Imunity from disease
– Low escape possibilities, they dont know the land, they dont have allies, and they were highly visible because of the skin color.
– Atlantic Slave trade ended 1808
Life of a slave;
– Sundays off the go to church
– could not read or write, and illegal to learm
Slave codes CANNOTS; leave home without pass. carry a weapon, gather in groups, own property, legally marry, defend themselves against a white person, speak in court.
– Flight-slaves would run away
– Trauncy-flight for a short amount of time then they would come back
– Refusal to reproduce, women refused to have children.
Covert Action-slaves would sometimes kill animals, etc
– Slaves were often punished if they misbehave
– branding, beating, being sold, gagged, whipping, and other torture methods
Election 1860, start of Civil War;
Abraham Lincoln was elected president in 1860 without any southern electoral votes
Many southern states quickly seceded from the Union, South Carolina
Southern troops fired upon Fort Sumter, starting the war
The North faught to preserve Union, while the South fought to perserve slavery
Civil War & Emancipation;
Lincoln began to think about how to abolish slaverly down south
September 22, 1862 issued the Emancipation Proclamation which decalred no slaverly in the states on Jan 1, 1863
It did nothing about it except for the parts that were already good with the idea
End of the Civil War;
the South lost, and were forced to accept the 13th Amendment to the Constitution before they could be part of the Union again
It abolished Slaverly in the US
WHERE ELSE AND WHAT ELSE?
!!20-30 million still inslaved today!!
1)Imagination in more important than knowledge. the important thing is not to stop questioning, curiosity has its own reason for existing. Albert Einstein.
2)Second richest man in the world. Helps make companies grow, develop, competitive, be different and efficient. Carlos Helu.
3)He started the first world war by assassinating Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria and his wife Sophie on June 28, 1914 Gavrilo Princip
4)UN – Tipping point. Ban Ki Moon
5)Superman Complex – Ethiopia – Benito Mussolini
6)Greatest Inventor of the 20th century – Thomas Edison
7)1918 peace talks – treaty negotiations. Woodrow Wilson
8)I gave my people land, food and bread – 1917 – Vladimir Lenin
9)Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country – Killed in Dallas, Texas. John F Kennedy
10)Brought communism to the largest country in the world – 1947 – Largest genocide in world history – 50 million people were killed – people worshiped him – Mao Zedong
11)U.S. Civil Rights movement Dr. Martin Luther King
12)I was a gardener, world traveller and pastry chef – Ho Chi Minh
13)Bulldog – Saved world from nazis rule during World War II
14)Fifty years behind the advanced countries – Joseph Stalin – saved his country from the Nazis with the scorched earth policy
15)Divide mankind into 3 groups, the founders of culture, bearers of culture, and destroyers of culture only the aryan(race) could be considered – Adolf Hitler – committed suicide in 1945
16)”I fear we have just awoken the sleeping giant” – spoken when Emperor Hirohito invaded Hawaii in 1941 – reigning from December 25, 1926 until his death in 1989
17)”When you inoculate children with a polio vaccine, you don’t sleep well for two or three months” – Jonas Salk – American medical researcher and virologist
18)”Be the change you want to see in the world” – Ended Imperialism in my country but for my efforts was later murdered in 1947 by muslim extremist – Gandhi
19)”Dear young people, let yourself be taken over by the light of Christ, and spread that light wherever you are.” I was famous canonized leader of the Catholic Church – Pope John Paul II
20)I was known as the “Holy Healer” in Russia but i was poisoned, shot and later drowned in one of the most famous deaths in world history – Pop song was written about him – Rasputin
21)Bounty of his head for $27 million – killed by US forces in 2011 – Osama Bin Laden
22)Has weapons of mass destruction – North Korea – Kim Jong Un – Current Leader
23)”It’s not the mountain we conquer, its ourselves” – Was the first person to climb to the top of the world – Sir Edmund Hillary
24)”If you use the original World Wide Web program, you never see a URL or have to deal with HTML. – Tim Berners-Lee
25)Dropped 2 atomic bombs on Japan – Ended the second world war – Harry S. Truman
26)Watergate Scandal – “I was not a crook” – Richard Nixon
27)”Peace in our time” – Neville Chamberlain
28)”Perestroika and Glasnost – Has a birthmark on his forehead – Gorbachev
29)Archduke Franz Ferdinand ”I was assassinated in Sarajevo, my death sparked the first Great War of the 20th century”
30)George Bush Jr – “Every nation, in every region now has a decision to make.”
31)”The United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked..” 1941 – Franklin Roosevelt
32)Current leader of canada – apologized to aboriginal people – Stephen Harper
33)3rd richest man in recorded history – Last ruler of Russia – Czar Nicholas Romanov II
34)Longest serving Communist leader in the 20th century history – Fidel Castro
35)“Mr. Gorbachev tear down this wall” – Hollywood actor turned world leader – Ronald Reagan
36)”Once giant step for man, one giant leap for mankind” – Neil Armstrong
37)Was the leader of one of the BIG 3 countries after world war one – hosted the Peace Conference at Versailles – George Benjamin Clemenceau
38)I am most powerful man in the Catholic Church – Pope Francis
39)”I have to be seen to be believed.” – Been in power for ½ a century – head of state of canada – Queen Elizabeth II
40)President of the People’s Republic of China – Hu Jintao
41)Voted greatest Canada’s Greatest Canadian for my creation of universal medicare which he brought to saskatewan – Tommy Douglas
42) Albert Einstein. Mc2
43)Supreme leader of Iran and became a champion of Islamic ideal. I lead the Iranian Revolution and supported the Iranian hostage crisis. Ruhollah Khomeni
44)I was the first person to fly 3,600 miles 1927, from Atlantic Ocean from New York to Paris. Crime of the century when his son was murdered. Charles Lindberg
45)I think the secret to success in quite simple, “If you work just money, you’ll never make it, but if you love what you’re doing and you always put the customer first, success with be yours.” Raymond Albert “Ray” Croc
46) “You can make a positive out of a negative if you work enough” Satifaction Guarenteed. walamrt man. Sam Walton
47) Once I learned to communicate I said “Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much” The best ans most beautiful things must be felt. Helen Keller
48) I tried to help out the poorest people in the world because I truly believe that “ In this life we cannot do great things, we can only do small things with great love”Mother Teresa
49) Stay hungry, stay foolish. Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn’t matter to me, going to bed at night saying we’re doing something wonderful thats what matters to me. I created the ‘I’ generation Steve Jobs
50) If you want to change your life to be more rewarding, change the way you think, Oprah Winfrey
51) I drove the industrial Revolution in the USA with mass production, mechanization and the assembly line. have you driven a FORD lately? Henry Ford
52) If birds can glide for long periods of time, then why can’t I? Wright Brothers
53) The discovery of DNA structure. Watson AND Crick
54) I think its fair to say that the personal computer has become the most empowering tool we have ever created” Bill Gates
55) “It always seems impossible until its done.” Imprisoned for 27 years. “No person is born hating, another person because of the color of his skin or his background or religion.” Nelson Mandela
Pre-Rev – Nicholas II last russian czar in 1884
Serfs – 2 groups, very rich and very poor.
they received a hut, small land and couple animals.
for a communist government to work, people would have to be forced into working.
1905 Russia lost a war with Japan
angered serfs and workers
January 22, thousands of people marched on Winter Palace to as Czar Nicholas for reforms (for a change)
Troops shot people in the crowd, how the name came. riots became more often
Time for Change
1917, riots in the streets. everyone wanted change
Groups over ran police and military couldnt stop riots
Czar Nicholas was forced to give up his throne
After that, his family was captured and murder
BOLSHEVIKS – Change (Lenin)
MENSHEVIKS – Monarchy , preserve Czar Nicholas
Lenin brings communism to Russia
1917 Vladimir Lenin pushed over the gov and Communists took control of Russia
czar Nicholas and the family were executed
1922 Lenin renamed it the Soviet Union
Joined Russia, Belarus, Armenia, Georgia, and Ukraine
A theory that says the government should own the farms and factories for the benefit of the citizens
Everyone should share the work equally and receive equal share of rewards.
My results mostly point towards a Liberal stance,. My definition of being liberal is being open minded to change, open minded to new ideas, and are more tolerant of thoughts and actions of others; they arent very bound to the traditions. My definition on conservative is they like to keep it traditional and not a big fan about changes, typically into politics or religion. Based on the defintions, I definitely agree Im more Liberal. Im more of a into change person, and Im not really bound to religion and basing my decision. I like to bring in new ideas and and stay open minded towards other ideas and ations as well,